The Adaptation Group comprises of an inter-disciplinary team of professionals ranging from social sector & rural development, environmental management, renewable energy, economics and statistics. The group’s wider mandate is to work towards contributing to the larger global process of building climate resilient communities, systems and processes that help adapt to & mitigate anthropogenic & climate-induced rural & urban vulnerabilities. To enhance the effectiveness of actions, conscious efforts are being taken by the group to undertake action research studies, vulnerability assessments and pilot-demonstrate successful adaptation strategies.
- Promoting adaptation through enhancing livelihoods & climate resilience
- Climate-induced vulnerability & risk assessments and designing adaptation strategies
- Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) for Rural Development projects and Central & State Government programs
- Policy research on NRM, Climate change & gender issues
- Renewable Energy Technologies (RETs) implementation
- Studies on Disaster Risk Reduction
- Research studies on REDD+
- Incentive-based mechanisms and environmental economics
- Training and Capacity building
The group is working with policy makers such as the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), Ministry of Power (MoP); International and bilateral / multilateral agencies such as DFID, UNDP, GTZ, JICA, KfW, USAID, IUCN, World Bank, European Commission, UNIDO, UNICEF, Oxfam India, Rockefeller Foundation and State Governments in order to implement & monitor important programs and provide policy inputs.
A mix of action research studies, field implementation and policy research studies in the context of promoting adaptation and livelihood resilience have been undertaken in the past and continue to be. In a short span of two years, new & emerging areas and cross-sectoral themes & projects have been undertaken to suit the group’s mandate. Project offices in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Orissa have also been established to carry out the body of works in the respective states.